Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Boozer and Okur stay; Impact on Britishy Gordon




So, the Jazz are going to keep at least two of the three bigmen that could have potentially left this summer. Good for them, I guess. I don't know, it's hard for me to get too excited about anything that happens with Utah. I sort of hate them, but in a totally passive way. But, whatever. This means Utah will still be pretty good, as they have been for a little while now. Can they make that next step? I don't know. They looked very good at times this season, but slumped in the end and had to endure a beating from the Lakers.

Paul Millsap's situation is still unresolved, and I'd guess that this news would make the Jazz less likely to throw big money at him. They'd have to go into the luxury tax to resign him, and that's just not something a lot of owners like to do. Especially owners of small market teams. But, who knows. The list of Milsap's potential suitors is pretty interesting. You'd sort of expect Detroit to be interested, but OKC and Memphis are odd names. I mean, we all know that Marc Gasol is the shit, and the Grizz just drafted Thabeet. OKC look relatively set right now, with a promising young lineup of Westbrook-Harden-Durant-Green-Krstic. But Millsap is young, and they're unlikely to sign a big name next summer. So, why not, I guess.

Anyway, the far more interesting (alright, maybe not) impact of this news is the effect it has Ben "I didn't realise Mount Vernon was in the UK" Gordon (at least, Pete Rock* never told me it was in the UK). Now it seems to be either Gordon or Millsap for the Pistons, unless they're going to hold off to next summer (they aren't going to do that). Right now, it looks like the Pistons really need a big man. Sheed and McDyess could both be leaving, and Austin Daye isn't a real big dude. Millsap's a very good fit, you'd think. But Ben Gordon is dreamy. And I'm pretty sure the Pistons would instantly become the biggest thing in Great Britain if they signed him, because Gordon's leading them to gold in 2012. Him and Luol Deng. Wait. Shouldn't the Bulls already be huge there? Are they? We need answers.

*Water No Get Enemy just came on, and I'd never realised that this was the sample on Grown Man Sport. I've heard both tracks plenty of times. How bizarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment