Monday, August 24, 2009

Not to jinx it...

As I watched Aston Villa upset Liverpool, in a match that I'd imagine many believed to be somewhat of a formality, I'm left pondering if things are demonstrably different now. I've long been one to somewhat dismiss the Premier League, as a predictable league where somewhat boring football (in comparison to Spain, at least (for me))was played. And I've not completely turned on that second point; I still prefer the style of play in Spain and many other leagues to that found in England. But, could it be that we're entering a brave new era of a genuinely interesting Premiership? Sure, the gap between the top and the very bottom has never been wider, but it seems as if recent events (cash injection into City, strong teams in Tottenham, Villa, and possibly a couple others, as well as the weakening of Liverpool and Man United) may just leave us with a genuinely exciting league with more contenders than we're used to. If nothing else, the top 4's strangle hold seems to be weaker than any other time any recent memory. Until Spurs inevitably lose 12 in a row and Roque Santa Cruz stabs Adebayor in an effort to get playing time, at least.

2 comments:

  1. I place the blame for Villa's inevitable collapse on your shoulders. So have fun with that.


    (Actually, I would just be happy if they put together a good enough run to even be in a position to collapse. As disappointing as last season was, in hindsight just being in a spot where they would have had to pull a big time chokejob just to fail to qualify for CL play is a pretty damn nice. I'd settle for it.) ((But I like teams that are doomed. Look at my simD team.))

    ReplyDelete
  2. (2003 was the highlight of my Cubs fandom, so I can definitely dig that.)

    ReplyDelete