Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Amigos' NBA Previews: Charlotte Bobcats



Recent Past: They sucked a lot, and then they sucked some less, and then they almost made the playoffs. But they didn't. Oh, and during that time, they drafted Adam Morrison, and Michael Jordan did some things. So, there we go.

Offseason: They traded Emeka for Chandler, presumably because of his shorter contract, and signed Flip Murray. And Sean May left, which probably knocks about 30 wins off my projection for them this season. They also ended up re-signing Raymond Felton, to a one year deal, and they drafted a guy that went to Duke. Didn't sign AI. So, yea.

Probable Lineup: Raymond Felton, Raja Bell, Crash, Boris Diaw, and Tyson Chandler. D.J. Augustin, Flip Murray, Gerald Henderson, Alexis Ajinça and Desagana Diop as key subs. I guess?

General Outlook: This is a pretty fucking weird team. I mean, most of these guys probably won't be around too much longer, although I'm not sure Charlotte are really waiting on signing a big free agent or any shit like that. So they're just a sort of alright team, sitting there, kind of-sort of developing a couple young guys, but not really. But, you know, shit, I could have just pointed to the presence of both Gerald Wallace and Boris Diaw as a sign of their crazy weirdness. I mean, really, is there any team in the league that has two players as odd as them? I doubt it. And for such a weird team to be coached by Larry Brown? Yea, I basically have no idea what the fuck is going on.

Bringing back Felton will get them another season of a pretty decent, but not spectacular point guard that hasn't really made any improvement since coming to the league as the third point guard in a draft class that included Chris Paul and Deron Williams. It also gives them a pretty fucked up point guard situation, which I'm not sure will work at all. I mean, I guess it's not expected to do that much, so it can't fail. Right? I don't know. Anyway. Can we get back to Gerald Wallace and Boris Diaw? Alright. You really need to watch this team a few times, just to see those guys, and appreciate how fucking awkward their games are. I mean, Wallace feels like a guy that could really help a contender...somehow, and Diaw's already been there and done that. Now he's...getting his, or something. I'm not sure what his motivation is, but I'm sure it involves the French National Team and a plot to steal Eva Longoria. Or....something.

The Chandler thing is...whatever? I sort of cared about that at first, but then I realized it's really sort of pointless. I mean, best case, this team eeks out the eight spot? Alright. And so, next season, or two seasons from now, when there's about three of these guys still here, will anyone care whether they had Tyson Chandler or Emeka Okafor? No. No they won't. I think Okafor's probably a little better, but I see why the Cats made that deal, and I just don't want to fucking waste brain power on dissecting the positives and negatives of two goodish centers. This last paragraph has pretty much been completely contrary to my usually very shitty-team-friendly stance on the NBA, but whatever. That's fine. It somehow fits in with the weirdness that is your 2009-10 Charlotte Bobcats.

If they were a hip hop act: I wish they were good enough for the Little Brother tag, as that'd be easy. Um, lets see. Let's go with Fu-Schnickens, because that's just about how weird the Bobcats are.

Guessing how they'll do: Close enough to a playoff spot to be consistently mentioned as one of the last teams "in the hunt" deep into March, but ultimately probably 11th or some shit in the East. But, you know, a somewhat intriguing 11th. Whatever the fuck that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment